Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Yum, yum!

I've just recently finished one of my (very!) rare forays into McDonalds for a meal.

This time, I elected to go with the Chicken Select option with Honey Mustard sauce. As I was eating, I got to reading the label on one of the sauce packets (keep in mind that items are listed in order of percentage of content):
  • water
  • sugar
  • dijon mustard (distilled vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, white wine, citric acid, tartaric acid, spices)
  • soybean oil
  • honey
  • corn syrup solids (um... isn't 'solids' kind of contrary to the idea of 'syrup'?)
  • distilled vinegar
  • modified food starch (modified from what to what?)
  • egg yolks
  • xanthan gum
  • salt
  • mustard flour
  • titanium dioxide (wtf?)
  • sodium benzoate as a preservative (great - the sauce will probably last longer than I do)
  • propylene glycol alginate (don't know what it is, but it sure sounds appetizing, don't it?)
  • spices (apparently I don't need to know which ones)
  • tumeric
  • artificial color (FD&C Yellow #5, FD&C Yellow #6)
  • contains egg ingredients (I wasn't sure about that 'egg yolks' part, until they added this)
I'm not sure if that is supposed to be food, or a list of contents for a chemistry set...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Egg "ingredients." LOL-WTF?

Dave said...

Hey, you know... "Parts is parts" :-)

Conceivably, any random combination of electrons, neutrons, and protons could be considered as egg 'ingredients', seeing as how the same basic parts are there.