Friday, September 14, 2007

AARP and me

Yes, that's the American Association of Retired Persons - a.k.a. The Geezer Club.

Some months ago, they sent me an invitation to join (I'm soon to turn 53, if it matters); I responded by sending their invitation and application back to them with the explanation that I don't agree with their positions on just about everything(1). I also told them that I didn't want to be bothered again. Yes, I know that I could get a host of various benefits were I to join; however, joining would also add my membership fees/dues to their resources, and thus enable them (that much more) to espouse positions that I don't agree with.

Yesterday, I got an offer for AARP life insurance.

I've sent the (un-completed) offer back with the handwritten annotation that I don't want any, ever, and asking that I be removed from their list.

I've also sent them a digitally-signed email advising them that I wish to be removed from any and all AARP mailing lists, offers, products, proposals, or anything else AARP-ish. Here's hoping the senile old gits get the message this time.


(1) The AARP is against the idea of requiring proficiency testing for older drivers and against the idea of 'means testing' for eligibility to receive Social Security benefits, for example.
Yes, pulling someones drivers license is denying them a measure of freedom - but it's also protecting the public at large from a possibly dangerous driver. I wonder if they'd fuss if the DL laws were written so that alternate license renewals required proficiency testing...
And I don't see any reason why someone with a 7-figure (or more!) bank account should be collecting Social Security checks: they clearly have quite enough 'security' methinks...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh. The Leftwing Oldsters Lobby (LOL). We're already starting to get some of their horribly misguided crap in the mail. I guess when it gets bad enough, I'll do a cease-and-desist, not just because I disagree with their shit, but because I rarely need a coupon for $5 off a room at Motel 6.

Dave said...

The majority of the Seniors now are those that were born during, or otherwise lived through, the Depression - and remember it. It sure *seems* like the majority of them have more than compensated for the financial limits of their youth, and have retained a measure of frugality into their old age - which is what I suspect motivates them to take advantage of the discounts available through AARP. That the more affluent of them could live off their savings and investments for the rest of their lives and STILL have money left over is irrelevant.