- Fill 3-gallon container.
- Empty 3-gallon into 5-gallon
- Refill 3-gallon
- Pour into 5-gallon until it's full.
- [3-g now contains 1 gallon: filled twice with 3 gallons (steps 1 and 3), emptied of 3 gallons once (step 2), then emptied of 2 gallons (step 4)]
- Empty 5-gallon.
- Pour rest of 3-gallon into 5-gallon.
- Fill 3-gallon, empty into 5-gallon
- [5-g now contains 4 gallons: 1 gallon (step 7) + 3 gallons (step 8)]
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Just finished watching "Die Hard With a Vengeance" (the one with Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson), and noticed that the director did a piss-poor job of showing how McCain and Zeus got the 4 gallons of water into a 5 gallon jug when the only other container was a 3 gallon jug. So for the benefit of any math- or logic-impaired out there, here's how it works: