Per official PayPal doctrine, PayPal cheerfully helps law enforcement retrieve information about PayPal users:
B. eBay User Contact Details and limited transaction history (12 months maximum)It's worth noting that PayPal doesn't require any actual proof or evidence of any wrongdoing; it's enough for them that whatever law enforcement organization that's making the request says there is.
Please submit a signed fax (non-subpoena) on department letterhead stating specifically what you require.
eBay can provide the following information for users under investigation of illegal activity only:
• Contact Name, City, State, Zip, and Telephone Number
• All email addresses and eBay User ID's added to account with date/time stamps
• eBay Fraud complaints (*lf Requested)
• Account listing/bid history dating back one year (*lf Requested)
To assist us in searching for records, the following data must be included in your data request (if available):
- All known names, aliases, street addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers
- Known eBay ID(s) and Item Numbers
- Statement relating to the illegal nature of the activities being investigated
Please fax data request to: Fax: 408.967.9915 Turnaround Time: Typically within 15 business days
It's even worse if the cops actually take the time and trouble to get a subpoena.
If you're so inclined, you can read the whole document on how PayPal interfaces with cops in this document.
If you want to see what you agreed to when you set up an account with them, this is what you're looking for.